6.5 C
New York

Agrivoltaic project set to become New Zealand’s first utility-scale solar farm – pv magazine International


New Zealand government-owned Genesis Power and renewables associate FRV Australia have bought a complicated 52 MW agrivoltaic photo voltaic mission in New Zealand’s South Island. If the mission reaches its 2024 operational goal as anticipated, it will likely be the primary utility-scale photo voltaic farm within the nation.

from Australia’s pv journal

New Zealand government-owned Genesis Power and renewables developer FRV Australia have introduced plans for a 52 MW photo voltaic farm close to Lauriston, within the South Island. The set up is the primary large-scale photo voltaic farm within the nation.

The 90-hectare Lauriston photo voltaic farm, purchased from UK developer Hive Power, already has superior grid-connection approvals, with the corporate saying it’s prepared for panel set up to start in 2023. The mission will maintain roughly 80,000 photo voltaic panels and is ready to generate 80 GWh per yr. Farm sheep grazing will likely be reintroduced to the realm upon completion of the mission in 2024.

Photo voltaic in remains to be very a lot in its infancy within the nation, which will get most of its renewables from geothermal, wind and hydroelectric vegetation. These sources account for practically 80% of the nation’s electrical energy, and 40% of its whole vitality use.

Whereas New Zealand has but to place a utility-scale photo voltaic farm into operation, there are a number of new bulletins for improvement tasks, together with plans for a 400 MW photo voltaic farm from Todd Technology , and a 147 MW photo voltaic farm from UK-based Concord Power, each within the nation’s North Island. Likewise, Lightsource bp and German funding supervisor Aquila Capital wish to develop portfolios in New Zealand.

“There have been a number of bulletins through the day,” stated Tracey Hickman, interim chief govt of Genesis. “However not many have the land, consent and grid connection in place.”

It’s for its expertise in growing utility-scale photo voltaic tasks that Genesis Power has partnered with FRV Australia, the antipodean arm of Fotowatio Renewable Ventures, owned by Abdul Latif Jameel Power of Saudi Arabia since 2015. The FRV Australia arm is now collectively owned by Abdul Latif Jameel Power and Canada’s Omers Infrastructure.#

The three way partnership was introduced in 2021 and noticed Genesis Power take a 60% stake whereas FRV Australia managed the remaining 40%. Having delivered a reported 800 MW of photo voltaic tasks, together with roughly 250 MW underneath building, FRV Australia stated on the time that it was able to increase its actions within the New Zealand market area. .

Collectively, the pair plan to ship 500 MW of photo voltaic capability in New Zealand over the following 5 years.

“FRV Australia and Genesis have developed a superb pipeline of photo voltaic tasks which are anticipated to be delivered within the coming years,” stated Carlo Frigerio, managing director of FRV Australia. “The Lauriston photo voltaic farm enhances our personal pipeline and is poised to grow to be the primary large-scale photo voltaic farm to achieve operational stage within the nation.”

Extra broadly, the Lauriston photo voltaic farm is a part of a program from Genesis Power that goals to displace 2,650 GWh of thermal technology with new renewable energy by 2030.

This content material is protected by copyright and will not be reused. If you wish to cooperate with us and need to reuse a few of our content material, please contact: [email protected]

Source link

Related articles


Recent articles